|D| Colors from Illustrator to Photoshop

Thread: Colors from Illustrator to Photoshop

Join Date Nov 2009
    Posts 153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Colors from Illustrator to Photoshop

I've been doing some reading on how to get colors in Illustrator to match in Photoshop, but I am so confused! They look the same on screen, but are totally different in print. The printed colors are a much better match when I start a design in photoshop, then print. If I start a design (or use an existing one) in Illustrator, then finish the work in Photoshop, the print color is off. Same if I open an eps or ai in photoshop and try to print. How do I figure out how to convert a hex code from photoshop into illustrator? Or is that even what I do? Gah! Thanks for any guidance. I am going crazy!

- - - Updated - - -

PS, I'm working in CS5

Similar Threads:
      Join Date Nov 2010
      Location Here
      Posts 158
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Your color settings/profiles for each app are different.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/e...ve-suite-apps/
      Last edited by Altermann; 08-06-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: dumb typo :(
      ♫ Yeah me's a Photoshopper. Mad at me?, I think I know why. Yeah me's a Photoshopper ♫ : YYY
    • The Following User Says Thank You to Altermann For This Awesome! Post:

RaelIAK (08-06-2014)

Join Date Nov 2009
      Posts 153
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Thanks for the link, Altermann! I will play around and see if I can get it all matched.
      So what about when I save an image in illustrator or photoshop as a jpeg, then insert it into Microsoft Word. Will it print the way it looks? I need a clearly course on color management!
      Join Date Nov 2010
      Location Here
      Posts 158
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      I don't think so, Word may manage color differently; if you are printing professionally I don't think word is the best option, Illustrator on the other hand, has a lot of option for color proofing and detecting your printer settings. I actually know about... 1% about print design, but I also know Microsoft Office does whatever it wants to do with settings, so...
      Join Date Nov 2009
      Posts 153
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      I figured. I tested some images last night in Word and it actually didn't do too bad. I print with Word for my mailing labels and stickers. Now to see how it does with print and cut in my silhouette cameo. :D Thanks for your help!
      Join Date Oct 2008
      Posts 100
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      I figured. I tested some images last night in Word and it actually didn't do too bad. I print with Word for my mailing labels and stickers. Now to see how it does with print and cut in my silhouette cameo. :D Thanks for your help!
      I know this is rather old, but if you still need to figure this out what you will want to do is go into Adobe Bridge > Edit > Color Settings and then select the appropriate setting you wish to use and click apply. This will sync your color spaces across all the Adobe platforms so you never have inconsistent color.

If you wish to build a custom sync setting all you need to do is go into Photoshop Edit > Color Settings and choose all the correct color settings you wish to use and then click Save. Now go into Adobe Bridge and repeat the first process I explained and you will have synchronized your custom color settings.

Standard settings for North America are Adobe 1998 (wide gamut) sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (typically used for onscreen only/web use) and US Web Coated SWOP v2 for CMYK printing.

Now all of this that I have discussed so far is not going to get you truly accurate color unless you have properly calibrated your input devices such as scanners and cameras, your monitor, and your printer but at least it will get you headed into a better direction.
    • The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to graphicsman2244 For This Unbelievable Post:

BlazerMan (04-24-2017),jamberry (10-11-2014),opti (10-08-2014),ramyd (10-08-2014)

Join Date Sep 2010
      Location UK
      Posts 119
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      It's pretty much impossible to get screen and print colours to match, the colour is produced and mixed in an entirely different way (CMKY and RGB). Best to try and get the best colours for whatever the end use is. Graphicsman's post has some good pointers.
      Join Date Apr 2010
      Location melbourne
      Posts 138
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      I Agree with @Spark - screen onto paper has many variables at play: like the paper stock and also the ink mixes a printshop uses. The way I approach it is: say, if its only a 3 colour way design. I get the paper stock that will be used for the final print and layout different tints / shades of the colour I want to test - kind of like a swatch book. then marry the right colours in the final and get the client to tick it off (whilst also telling them to also crosscheck with their printers also).

I've found that it's best to establish a talk with the printer and ask what colour systems they use or if they have a guide for you to checkout - PS and AI has pantone colour swatches (and more) which most printshops use - that would give you the best results IMO.
      DO NOT share my links outside of PILO, Reply to my post or PM me if links are dead. - else have a nice day :)
    • The Following User Says Thank You to mrCatTears For This Awesome! Post:

BlazerMan (04-24-2017)

Join Date Jan 2009
      Posts 145
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Could it be a simple solution like one is working the file in RGB and the other is in CMYK?

For print all files should be in CMYK. If the colour breakdowns in both are exactly the same, and imported into Indesign or similar, then exported out as one PDF, I couldn't forsee how they would print differently?

If in different pdfs, or then again a different print job/printer/run that would be a whole other story?
      Join Date Sep 2010
      Location UK
      Posts 119
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      What AJ said. Make sure every document is set to CMYK all the way through if you're going to print the file. Hex colours shouldn't come into it at any stage.